What's a Commute Disallowance?
The Commute Disallowance feature enables teams to disallow commutes from employees' total mileage. By turning on this feature, you can exempt commutes from your team members' reimbursable mileage, in accordance with the commute disallowance type you select.
What is a commute?
A commute is the roundtrip distance from your home to your place of work (e.g., 3 miles from home to the office and 3 miles back from the office to home = 6 miles total).
How do the different commute types work?
There are 2 ways that commute can be deducted from your team members work mileage. The commute type defines how commute is deducted.
Commute is deducted from the total mileage for the day
- You drive a total of 100 miles in 1 day, this is your Gross Mileage.
- Your commute is 20 miles
- 100 miles (gross mileage) - 20 miles (commute) = 80 miles
- Your Net Mileage = 80 miles
First & last
Commute is deducted from the first and last trips of the day
- Your first drive of the day is 10 miles. Your last drive of the day is 15 miles.
- Your commute is 20 miles.
- 10 miles (half of your commute) will be deducted from your first trip.
- 10 miles (half of your commute) will be deducted from your last trip.
Step-by-step instructions for team administrators:
1. Navigate to dashboard.everlance.com.
2. Click "Team Dashboard"
3. Click "Team Settings"
4. Scroll to the Commute Disallowance section
- Turn the Commute disallowance toggle to ON
- Specify a default roundtrip commute amount if a member does not have a personalized commute set
- Check "Use member-specific commute amounts when available" if you want to allow different commute amounts for different team members; otherwise leave it unchecked
- If you check this, check "Allow members to edit their commute amount" if you want to allow team members to adjust their commute on their profile; otherwise leave it unchecked
- Select if you want to use the Daily or First & last commute type, as described above
5. Make sure to click "Save" to save all of your changes
Done! Great work.
How do we calculate the commute disallowance amount that is subtracted from a report?
For the "Daily" commute disallowance type:
Commute disallowance = Daily disallowance x number of days with trips.
- On days when a team member drives over their daily disallowance, the full disallowance will be subtracted. For example, if the daily disallowance is 10 mi, and the person drove 15 mi, we’ll only subtract the full 10 miles for that day.
- On days when the person drives less than the daily disallowance, we only subtract the amount they drove. For example, if the daily disallowance is 10 mi, but the person only drove 4 mi, we’ll only subtract 4 miles for that day.
Learn more about how Commute works for Drivers.
Have questions? You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can contact us at (872) 814-6308 (USA Only). Our Live Support hours are 9am-5pm EST Monday-Friday and 9am-1pm EST on weekends.